Well the time has come to retire the Honda. After 14 years of reliable service and tons of fun, I have chosen to go Hybrid. For the past year I have been debating between a TDI and a Prius, while I really thought a TDI would work, I just couldn’t see real proof getting the 50MPG+ I was getting with the Civic.
Are you a gambling man?
So I really took a gamble on this vehicle, but at the same time got an outstanding deal. Here are the details for my new (used) 2006 Toyota Prius:
- 169,000 mi (yea I know)
- About 100,000 miles of undocumented service history
- Some previously repaired front end damage
Yea so apparently I am a gambling man. We purchased the car December of last year, and I have to tell you, it has paid off. The car is running great, getting amazing gas mileage and quite fun to drive.
So as many of you die hard MPG freaks know, gas mileage in the winter is much worse than in the summer, which has to do with many things from the air to snow, but over the past five months I am averaging over 50MPG, which is what the EPA rating is. So now that it is getting warmer I am seeing TRIP averages of over 60MPG and one at 64! Where in the past I would be pushing 54. So I can’t wait to see what the summer brings.
Since the car was used, there were a few luxuries I was unable to acquire as standard options, basically because what you see is what you get. So below are the mods that I have added to the vehicle (non-MPG related).
- Jabra Cruiser Wireless Blue-tooth with FM Transmitter
- Transplanted my Alpine 2 channel amp and Pioneer 12″ sub-woofer for bumps :), custom install.
- Window tint, I just began installing pre-cut window tint last night, hopefully to be done by the end of the week. 35% all the way around
- Wired 80GB iPod Classic (AUX), for when I want music outside the normal listening library of my iPhone.
- Driver Wagan heated seat cover (it was cold this winter)
- Lower and upper grille block.
- EBH (engine block heater) my wife got me for Christmas
- EV Switch, for silent mode.
- ScanGauge II transplanted from the Civic
WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL WITH THE PRIUS?
Below are the items/features that I love about the Prius.
- Completely key less entry, I don’t press a button on a FOB or anything, I just put my hand into the door handle to unlock.
- Back up camera, this is needed because the view from the back window is horrible.
- Shutting off when coasting, and being shut off at stop lights.
- The ability to easily get 60MPG at 60MPH!
- Push button start/stop
- Completely electric A/C <- Very cool, literally!